Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Comfrey Plants

What a tangled mess a big rain storm made of my comfrey plant... Actually these fall down on their own if nothing knocks them down. They grow up from the center, these were about shoulder high before they bloomed, once they fall down, the plant grows back up from the center. It will get shoulder high and bloom and then fall down again. In our climate, we usually get three growings. When they fall down, I usually procrastinate a few weeks before cutting them back. I prune off all the tall stalks that have fallen down.

This second picture was taken after pruning them back. I had to literally fight the bumble bees for these stalks. I have two comfrey plants and between the two of them, I had three wheelbarrows full of green stuff for the compost pile. As you can see, these look much better trimmed back. I did feel sorry for the bumbles though, for hours afterwards they were buzzing around the plants acting totally confused becuase their flowers were gone!

1 Comments:

At 7/05/2006 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Becky said...

Wow, that was a whole lotta pruning! they make such goooooood compost though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home