Saturday, August 12, 2006

Porch Planters

These are probably my favorites... I love elephant ears, the most tropical looking foliage I can grown i this climate. The gree one on the right...I keep that pot from year to year. Once it freezes, I cut it back to a couple inches above the bulbs and put it in the fruit cellar over the winter. No water, no light, just a cool, damp, dark enviroment. I pull it out in March, drag that dang heavy pot (what on earth was I thinking planting it in clay?) over to the cellar door where the light is the brightest...and I water it. In a couple weeks I have green shoots coming out of the bulbs! Now, that "black" one...it never comes back, no matter what I try. This year I'm going to try diging the bulb after the frost and then replanting it in March. Mabye that'll help. And, I love sweetpotato vines...which is planted with the dark one. Vinca vines are in the other pot with the green one.

Just a bunch of vining plants I bought to punt in a two-tiered planter, which kinda got lost amongst the plants! My favorite in this pot is the Creeping Jenny (or is that Creeping Charlie?) on the bottom right.

My biggest Kong Coleus...but it's not half as big as they grew last year! I'm really dissapointed with these this year. And just ingore the peeling paint and scratched up weather stripping, OK? AC lets us know when she wants in! :)

3 Comments:

At 8/13/2006 03:20:00 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Gorgeous! my mom's kong didn't get that big this year either, Brian keeps saying we had a good growing year, but it depends on what you're talking about, lol some things did great, others, so-so, and still others, not at all, *snort*

I have a huge-a## pot that I have a plant in that I can barely pick off the ground and it has to come in and out each year, lol

 
At 8/13/2006 11:16:00 PM, Blogger Katya said...

Oh Denise, I love seeing the pics you take...I always imagine myself as "being there"...Your plants are so nice...I have pretty much given up growing houseplants, except for my indestructable Christmas Cacti!!

Oh, about AC...she is just gently "antweeking" things for ya! Our Ben is doing the same...'cept NOT so "gently"!

 
At 8/17/2006 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Jessica's DS said...

Nice plants! You sure do know how to make nice mini-plant gardens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home